Ib17 Docker Coneu 17 October 2017
Christian attends the DockerConEU in Copenhagen and reports back what is going on over there and what is the latest.
- At the end of the General Session today Solomon announced that Kubernetes is becoming an additional orchestrator, alongside SWARM.
- Reason being that Kubernetes became the go-to orchestrator and Docker wants to provide their Users with a choice.
- By doing so, the transition from single-engine to SWARM to Kubernetes is seamless and can be done with a simple docker-compose file.
- Subsequent version of docker-compose will include more and more control over kubernetes from the docker-compose file.
- Docker will ship a vanilla K8s, no wrapper or special flavor.
- the docker-cli and the kube-cli can be used interchangeably, which makes it awesome for Ops and Dev to colleborate.
- UCP will be a single pane of glas, RBAC will be transparent
DockerConEU in General
- LinuxKit is maturing more and more. It is the foundation of all the Docker Desktop offerings.
- Collaboration is nice to see. Microsoft, Google and Docker work together; which I would not have expecting with a conservative head on.
- Community engagement programs at DockerCon are a blast, DockerPals, Hands-on-labs, Hallway Tracks, pretty nice atmosphere.
- Talked to some HPC guys about the need to push for HPC SIG to push MPI forward.
After the general session I will host a breakout session showcasing community projects, before I head back to Berlin in the evening.