Ib17 Docker Coneu 17 October 2017
IB16 Newscast No3 15 October 2017
IB15 Newscast No2 09 October 2017
IB14 Newscast No1 01 October 2017
IB13 HPCAC Student Cluster Competition w/ Dan 29 September 2017
As a long term fan and media-professional within the Student Cluster Competitions all over the world, Dan and I have a chat about where it came from, what the challenges are and a lot more.
The first podcast in which I talk significantly less then the guest.
Sorry for the buzzing, not sure where this comes from. :/
The show notes represent the original agenda, we pivoted a little bit here and there. :D
- Dan Olds, Partner at OrionX
- Started at Sequent Computer
- Iterated to Sun, IBM
- He graduated in non-IT?
History of SCC
- When was the first time Dan entered it (founding father?)
- How is the 40k foot trajectory, did you ever though: Oh, now it’s clear in which direction it is going
- differences between ISC and SC
- the rules? - power - team size - team members (undergraduates only) - standard challenges (HPL, HPCG, …)
- Did it went from a free-exchange of ideas into a competition, I hope not?
- System-Architecture (x86, ARM)
- Accelerators (GPU,GPGPU, SoC)
- OS’s used?
- I want ARM coming
- Can I Haz a low-power HPI?
Auxiliary DC Services within SCC
- Capitalism to blame for bad operational stacks? (Have you ever seen a good Ops-Stack provided by a vendor?)
- How does it pan out in SCC, is the stacks they use a reflection of what is out there in big-scale systems?
Challenges within the Challenge
- getting it to work at all
- being able to pivot when magical workload comes in
- be nice to one another, solving problems together
- do you see teams being trained for a particular skill, failing when there is a change
- do you see members of a team specialise or is the team homogeneous?
- Have to talk about how to push containers in.. :)