IB20 Newsflash No5 29 May 2018
IB19 Newsflash No4 25 April 2018
IB18 Stateful Stream Processing 05 November 2017
IB17 DockerConEU Newsflash 17 October 2017
IB16 Newscast No3 15 October 2017
IB15 Newscast No2 09 October 2017
IB14 Newscast No1 01 October 2017
IB13 HPCAC Student Cluster Competition w/ Dan 29 September 2017
As a long term fan and media-professional within the Student Cluster Competitions all over the world, Dan and I have a chat about where it came from, what the challenges are and a lot more.
The first podcast in which I talk significantly less then the guest.
Sorry for the buzzing, not sure where this comes from. :/
The show notes represent the original agenda, we pivoted a little bit here and there. :D
- Dan Olds, Partner at OrionX
- Started at Sequent Computer
- Iterated to Sun, IBM
- He graduated in non-IT?
History of SCC
- When was the first time Dan entered it (founding father?)
- How is the 40k foot trajectory, did you ever though: Oh, now it’s clear in which direction it is going
- differences between ISC and SC
- the rules? - power - team size - team members (undergraduates only) - standard challenges (HPL, HPCG, …)
- Did it went from a free-exchange of ideas into a competition, I hope not?
- System-Architecture (x86, ARM)
- Accelerators (GPU,GPGPU, SoC)
- OS’s used?
- I want ARM coming
- Can I Haz a low-power HPI?
Auxiliary DC Services within SCC
- Capitalism to blame for bad operational stacks? (Have you ever seen a good Ops-Stack provided by a vendor?)
- How does it pan out in SCC, is the stacks they use a reflection of what is out there in big-scale systems?
Challenges within the Challenge
- getting it to work at all
- being able to pivot when magical workload comes in
- be nice to one another, solving problems together
- do you see teams being trained for a particular skill, failing when there is a change
- do you see members of a team specialise or is the team homogeneous?
- Have to talk about how to push containers in.. :)